Thursday, June 18, 2015

It's About Time

It's time. Oh, sweet Jesus, why is it always about time? I need time to grade some papers, I need more time to analyze student data, more time to play with my sweet kiddo, time to do wifey-things, time for myself, time to...act. Yes, it's about time to get going on something that I've been dreading: to simply write.



Admittance: I am an English teacher. I teaching W.R.I.T.I.N.G. Shouldn't it be easy for me? Sure, I know letters, and phonics, and punctuation, and grammar (see what I did there? those
"ands" don't really belong). I know how to craft writing and put words into a flowing sentence that crashes over rocks and jumps uncomfortably close to one's nose, demanding to be seen. Unfortunately, it's not always as easy to get started--to etch out the time it takes to just write, because writing is....scary?

Scary isn't the right word. Maybe nerve-wracking. And it isn't about writing for myself that makes me feel this way (or maybe it is?). It's about writing for others who will see what I've written. I encourage students to write for others because to share one's thoughts is to make connections with the human race, to see that one is not alone. For hundreds of years, stories have been a constant connection between people to show that despite race, gender, style, experience, choices, family (etc, etc, etc), we each are made of the same squishy stuff and others have been here before.

It makes me uncomfortable, but to be in a situation that is unknown is to show true bravery amidst the unfathomable. Maybe a bit dramatic, but who doesn't love a bit of drama from time to time (guilty pleasure!). So, here I am, starting again. Finding the time to write to develop this lovely craft that holds power like an ominous, cumulus cloud about to unleash it's wet wrath.

Since we're on the subject, tell me about time! What do you find yourself saying you need more time for?


No comments:

Post a Comment